[plug] Installing Debian

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Jun 19 23:40:39 WST 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:55:21 +0800 "Brenden Veljacich" <brendenv at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I about to embark on my first install of Linux, and i'm going with Debian.
> Now apparently this is quite a task for a newbie, so if anyone has any
> pointers on the installation of Debian (2.2r6) that would aid me in this
> (grin) quest, can you please reply.

Hi Brendan

What about coming to the PLUG meeting on Monday night ?

http://www.plug.linux.org.au/modules.php?op=modload&name=PostCalendar&file=index

Then you will get heaps of good oil from quite a few debian users that are
normally there. You can bring your box and have it loaded quickly; even if you
want to go home and trash the install to have a go yourself.

Have a look back through the recent PLUG list archives. There has been quite a
discussion about starting at woody since potato, ie Debian (2.2r6), is a bit
dated now and I'd wager woody will be released to stable any day now (no, praps
I won't wager .. :)

Here is the PLUG list archive:

http://www.plug.linux.org.au/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=3

The easiest way to load woody is with a copy of Mini Woody. I've just been
introduced to it this weekend and it's very easy. Then you'll get as close to
the latest and greatest that debian has to offer. <dofs salesman's hat>

Don't quote me but I think there is a copy of Mini Woody in the PLUG library.
Failing that, I have a borrowed one from Garry which I can bring along for you
to use.

If you have speedy net access and a burner, here is Mini Woody:

http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/
or
http://planetmirror.com/pub/debian-minicd/woody/

Maybe see you on Monday. Transport ? Ask the list.

cu
Harry