[plug] Trying to watch a dvd under linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jun 21 20:56:40 WST 2002

Jon L. Miller wrote:
> Any suggestions on how to get it to play smoother.
> System Specs:
> AMD750MHz CPU
> 512MB SDRAM
> 60GB HDD

> Nvidia TNT2 64MB AGP
Make sure you're using the NVidia binary-only drivers. The open-source
ones are IMHO much more stable (I've reverted from NVdriver to nv on the
linux server @work because of stability issues with NVdriver) but don't
support enhanced 3D features or XVideo. W/o XVideo, you'll never get
good performance (as I just discovered with my NeoMagic based laptop
which will be for sale after I get back from my trip to New Zealand).

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)