[plug] Browsers compatable with 'non Linux ones'?

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Mon Jun 24 10:28:46 WST 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 09:40:24AM +0800, Daniel wrote:
> I was going to advise a Linux install until
> father said he wanted to do online banking (Bank West) as well.

Hi Daniel,

Almost all versions of Netscape and Mozilla work perfectly with
BankWest's system. I'm using Mozilla 0.9.9 and it works a treat.

Generally, I'd say Mozilla/Netscape come the closest to supporting
most of what IE does, particularly because of it's age and the fact
they jumped on the band wagon of new technologies as soon as they
came out (JavaScript, Java, flash, CSS, other plugins, etc). IE
still has some very trippy JavaScript extensions which AFAIK no
other browsers will support, but these aren't all too common, and
where they are used, they're generally not crucial for using the
site.

Though Mozilla is rather greedy on memory, it has succeeded to me
where most other linux browsers fail. Theoretically, Galeon should
be up to scratch too, as it uses the same rendering engine as
Mozilla, yet it's failed for me on a couple of occasions.

In regards to banks generally, a fellow compiled a list of Linux
browsers that worked with different banks, the site was
http://mamista.net/linux/banks.html

HTH,

Bernard.

--