[plug] Mount Permisions

Russell Steicke russells at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Jun 26 09:52:37 WST 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 07:29:15AM +0800, David White wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	Prob 2. I have an entry in fstab to mount my w2k hd. when I mount it gives
> me an error saying that this NTFS drive is in w2k format and will be
> mounted in readonly mode. This is OK as I only needed to read from the
> drives but when I try to look at the contents I can't unless I am root. The
> Directory before has permissions drwxr-xr-x after it has dr-x------
> the fstab entry is as follows
> /dev/hda1	/w2k	ntfs	defaults,user,ro	0	2

mount(8) has info on ntfs.  There are three options to control this:

       uid=value, gid=value and umask=value
              Set  the  file  permission  on  the filesystem.  By
              default, the files are owned by root and not  read-
              able by somebody else.

So changing the options to user,ro,umask=022 should be what you want.