[plug] P75 & Linux

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 27 10:13:18 WST 2002

At 08:50 27/06/2002 +0800, James wrote:
>Hi PLUGers
>
>I have a Digital Pentium 75 computer as a second computer.
>
>My working computer is an AMD dual boot  Win98 / Linux RH7.3
>
>Both computers have network cards and are connected with a crossover cable.
>
>I would like to put Debian Linux on the P75.  The P75 only has a 1 Gb hard
>disk and I have found from experience that this is not enough to load Red
   ...snip...

James, I had an identical PC as a "significant upgrade" from my original
foray into Linux , a 486/SX33 with 12MB ram and 0.5GB disk.  I chose a
minimalist configuration for the P75 install of Debian potato, but wanted
to experiment with Xwindows.  Bad Idea (tm) unless you have a lot of coffee
to drink :-)  As a basic system to create/compile progs, run Samba, Apache,
an SQL database, compilers, etc, no problem.  As Bret has confirmed, a lot
of stuff can be squeezed into a small space.  Even the 486/SX33 is still
running Samba, Apache, Perl, PostgreSQL acting mainly as my poor-man's WINS
server these days; continuous uptime 236 days and counting.

Purely as a result of frustration with X performance, I replaced the P75 in
favour of a P200 with 64M and 20G and that is now my development device /
sacrificial lamb.