[plug] P75 & Linux

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 27 11:18:28 WST 2002

If you customise your distro's installation, you can get away with almost
anything. We're using Mandrake 8.1 on a P133 and it runs about the same
speed as Windows 98. We fire up Konqueror as a file manager and it actually
works better (speed wise... everything wise really) than My Computer.

The idea is basically to use a minimalist desktop. If you try out Window
Maker, you'll find that it does pretty much everything you want,
Window Maker has many fans in PLUG! If WM is a bit too much of  a strain for
you, try Blackbox, that's an awesome desktop for the amount of resources it
uses.

Turn off al the rubbish services that you'l never need too, and get rid of
anything like WINE!
John

>At 08:50 27/06/2002 +0800, James wrote:
>>Hi PLUGers
>>
>>I have a Digital Pentium 75 computer as a second computer.
>>
>>My working computer is an AMD dual boot  Win98 / Linux RH7.3
>>
>>Both computers have network cards and are connected with a crossover
>>cable.
>>
>>I would like to put Debian Linux on the P75.  The P75 only has a 1 Gb hard
>>disk and I have found from experience that this is not enough to load Red
>   ...snip...
>
>James, I had an identical PC as a "significant upgrade" from my original
>foray into Linux , a 486/SX33 with 12MB ram and 0.5GB disk.  I chose a
>minimalist configuration for the P75 install of Debian potato, but wanted
>to experiment with Xwindows.  Bad Idea (tm) unless you have a lot of coffee
>to drink :-)  As a basic system to create/compile progs, run Samba, Apache,
>an SQL database, compilers, etc, no problem.  As Bret has confirmed, a lot
>of stuff can be squeezed into a small space.  Even the 486/SX33 is still
>running Samba, Apache, Perl, PostgreSQL acting mainly as my poor-man's WINS
>server these days; continuous uptime 236 days and counting.
>
>Purely as a result of frustration with X performance, I replaced the P75 in
>favour of a P200 with 64M and 20G and that is now my development device /
>sacrificial lamb.

Make lunch, not war.