[plug] P75 & Linux

Tim Bowden BOWDENTJ at sesmailp1.curtin.edu.au
Thu Jun 27 11:28:18 WST 2002

>Given that the discussion is about installing on old/low end machines,
>here's a warning from someone who recently got bitten by RH 7.3: You can't
>(or at least, I couldn't) install it on a machine with <=16 MB of RAM. Just
>after the kernel boots, and you get into the RH installer, it throws up an
>error saying it wont install on such a puny machine (or something to that
>effect :-).
I had the same problem on a machine I tried with rh 7.2. only had 8mb ram
and it spat the dummy in no uncertain terms.  Even with 24 mb ram it won't
do a graphical install.  Text install is fine though- it gives the same
options
EXCEPT when doing a text update.  It doesn't give the chance to add
packages like it does in the graphical update (at least in the boxed dead
tree doco's it claims this capability for an upgrade)  Mind you I was trying
an upgrade install on a minimal 7.2 install hoping to have the chance to add
packages I missed the first time around.  It only 'upgraded' existing packages
and wouldn't let my add any new ones.

Tim Bowden