[plug] Sharing swap partition

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jun 27 12:49:58 WST 2002

The Thought Assassin wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>>To maximise the limited space of the 8GB under which the boot partitions
>>need to be installed, we wonder whether a 128MB swap partition could be
>>created and shared between RH7.3 and Debian spud.

Easy, just make sure the /etc/fstab line for swap is the same in both
OSs. If you install RH first, debian will go "oh good there's already
swap there" and won't even bother you about it. Might work the other way
around but I've never tried it.

> It certainly can. A swap partition is virtual RAM, so the kernel treats it
> as if all the data from it is lost on reboot - so it will not notice at
> all if another OS has altered the data on the partition between boots.
so long as the header is intact allowing it to recognise it as swap, so
putting dedicated windows swap on it on a dual-boot win/lin box won't
work w/o a "mkswap" on linux boot.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)