[plug] IPTables/Firewall GUI settings

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Fri Jun 28 10:11:37 WST 2002

Back in the 2.2 days, there was ipchains, and it was good. That is, I
actually understood ipchains, managed to wrap my brains around it, and nut
things out.

With iptables, and my loss of brains from dribbling out of my ears (blame
work stress, spam overload, too much Perl, whatever ^_^;;), I just can't
nut out iptables!

My home box/gateway is running Debian Woody, and is using pretty much the
default iptables stuff. Are there any tools to make maintaining a more
secure system easier, as far as firewall admin go?

For example, I have a friend who's less of a Linux Guru than me, and who's
gone the way of ADSL. He forked out for one of those funky DSL modems with
the 10/100 ports, the built-in NAT, etc... He does all his config of it
thru a web interface, as it has a built-in webserver for admin. And it
seems quite neat, versatile, etc...

Still, I'd like to stick to my Linux Boxen gateway, as I do other stuff
with it (MySQL DBs, etc). Hence me looking for nice tools...

Any suggestions?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |