[plug] Promoting open source software

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Jun 28 12:51:31 WST 2002

At 09:12 AM 06/28/2002, Patrick wrote:
>http://www.openoffice.org
>
>Word processing and office software to the stars!

OpenOffice.org shares the same code base as Sun's StarOffice 6.0 and works
on Windows, Solaris, Linux, and MAC is in beta.

StarOffice 6.0 (~$200) is a drop-in replacement for MS Office XP (~$1300).
OpenOffice.org 1.0 ($0) does not include groupware (email and scheduling)
and a database - yet. You can connect to databases, but it's not the
drag-and-drop style of the other products.

I have not used StarOffice 5.2 extensively, so I cannot comment as to
whether StarOffice 6.0 is easier to use. But the comments that I have heard
is that the UI is different.

There are a few other differences for people that use particular features
such as macros, heavy use of math, mail merge and bibliography. As yet, I
have not figured out how to do mail merge with OpenOffice.org yet :(

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)