[plug] Society of Linux Professionals (WA) Inaugural Meeting

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Fri Jun 28 13:45:52 WST 2002

> > We have a draft set of rules:
> > http://slpwa.linux.org.au/slpwarules.html

> That draft set of rules appears to make membership hellishly exclusive
<Snip>

Refer incorporations law and standard proceedings.

> I also note that the organisation appears to exclude interested people who
> are not currently working as Linux professionals,

Yes.

>and thus appears to exclude new blood,

No.

> and to not encourage interested people (students, etc),

Only students are interested people? Or does "etc" mean "everyone else" and
you just like splitting the world's population into these two categories?

> for either membership, or, working as Linux professionals.

I don't understand how you logically link these together.  Be a Linux
Professional and then seek to join the Society.
PLUG is for interested people no matter what their
background/history/educational status/profession/etc (where "etc" means
"anything else").  It is an open and general discussion forum on the topic
of Linux.

SLPWA is a Society of Linux Professionals in Western Australia - really, I'm
not making that up.  It servers a very different role to PLUG, it has
distinctly different objectives and is by and for people working in the
Linux industry.

> >From my experience, it is usual for an inaugural meeting to be held,
then,
> suggestions for a charter, or set of rules, and so on, to be discussed, so
> that the organisation is not created before it has members.

This has been done.  It was a "Register your interest" meeting and from it
has emerged the current agenda (many thanks to Jeremy, Colin, Patrick and
many others).

> Whilst the idea of a society of Linux professionals is a good idea, I
> believe that this proposal is too exclusive, and, its direction and
> membership appear to have been decided before the first
> (official) meeting. It all sounds too covert.

*sigh*
Well it's not and if you've been reading this list you possibly would've
noticed a lengthy thread about "Professional Linux Organisation" in the late
half of May along with suggestions for a separate mailing list at which
point the discussions moved from here to there and you think it's covert
because you couldn't be bothered to sign up for it.

Colin's mail was a courtesty to inform PLUG list members of intermediate
developments.

- Brian