[plug] SLPWA and automatic PLUG membership

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Sun Jun 30 19:07:39 WST 2002

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:10, Leon Brooks wrote:
> One of the items discussed at the newly formed SLPWA Committee meeting was
> the inclusion of PLUG membership in SLPWA membership. The point was made by
> several people that this will entail PLUG first agreeing to this and second
> being organised for this.

I'm not concerned one way or the other regarding this, but I do see a
potential medium-to-long term problem that I believe should be discussed.
Currently, the 'key' people in PLUG are the 'key' people in SLPWA and the
ultimate aims seem to be pretty similar: world domination of linux and the
deitification of Linus =).  The potential problem lies in when those aims
diverge, or when PLUG and SLPWA come into conflict over an issue.  It is
entirely possible that SLPWA could vote as a block if every SLPWA member is
also a PLUG member.  This would essentially make PLUG a subsiduary of SLPWA.
Do others see this as an acceptable risk?

skribe

PS: I'm not a current SLPWA member.
PPS: Is it pronounced 'slipwa'?
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

paycheck:
	The weekly $5.27 that remains after deductions for federal
	withholding, state withholding, city withholding, FICA,
	medical/dental, long-term disability, unemployment insurance,
	Christmas Club, and payroll savings plan contributions.