[plug] Missing Windows so badly

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Jun 30 20:14:21 WST 2002

Every so often, one of these gets under my skin. This was sent to the
webmaster:

>From http://www.nt-vs-unix.org/servertothedesktop/ -
> At this point in time Unix/Linux on the desktop doesn't make sense.

Bollocks, I've been using it end to end for years. My latest-model Sony
DSC-F707 simply plugs into the USB and my Linux box automagically sucks the
photos off, plonks them into their own directory and flushes the camera. All
over in seconds, no keys to hit, no `wizards' to suffer. Linux auto-detected
my scanner when I plugged it in. I can read and write MS-Office documents,
spreadsheets and presentations, as well as better formats. I read email
without either virus scanners or fear (want some viruses? I keep them around
in a mail archive for kicks). I browse the web rapidly and safely. I play
games, including real-time immersive 3D. What is it that I'm supposed to be
missing so badly? What doesn't make sense?

> If the average user finds it difficult to interact with the computer
> they will most likely find another operating system to deal with. A
> common cry among every computer user is that they wish for more
> stability and performance out of their computer hardware and software.

Yes, I did. My wish came true.

> With the release of Microsoft Windows 2000, the computer user gets
> incredible stability and performance with a familiar GUI

Incredible is a two-edged sword. I'm about to replace a Windows 2000
workstation because the software has proven incredibly unreliable.

On your front page you promise an unbiassed review. It's about time you posted
one, isn't it?

Cheers; Leon

--
CyberKnights                 Modern tools, traditional dedication.
+61-409-655-359              http://www.cyberknights.com.au/

linux.conf.au 2003           The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://conf.linux.org.au/    22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia