[plug] SLPWA and automatic PLUG membership

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Sun Jun 30 22:46:04 WST 2002

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 19:32, Brian Tombleson wrote:

> One of the reasons that discussions on SLPWA and it's formation and
> separation from PLUG is that most believe that PLUG should *not ever* be
> commercially biased.  ie. I don't push my company on PLUG and I would
> expect other's in a similar position not to as well.  As stated before on
> this list by SLPWA members, PLUG is a user group, for user discussions, for
> the advancement of Linux in it's broadest use, for support of individuals
> seeking non-commercial assistance and all the other things in PLUG's
> charter.

As I said, I'm thinking in the medium-to-long term.  This assumption, while
perfectedly justified now, may well change.  I'd rather have this examined
and, if there is an exploit, patched so it can't be used to harm all the
great work so many people have contributed since PLUG's inception.  Will this
idea come back to haunt us?  Is the benefit that is gained worth the risk?

> Lastly, if the PLUG populous do honestly see this as a threat in the longer
> term, now is the time to set the guidelines in SLPWA which could be as
> severe as perhaps "Any member of SLPWA forfeits the right of vote in PLUG".
> If the rationale is valid, it should make sense to SLPWA founding members
> and can be passed.

If that were the only way then what benefit would SLPWA members get by the
granting of automatic PLUG membership?  I would guess that SLPWA could easily
supply all the benefits that PLUG members already enjoy plus countless others.

A similar idea to yours is the idea that SLPWA membership only grants
non-voting associate/affliate PLUG membership.  SLPWA members could always
upgrade to a full membership at an appropriately reduced cost.  While that
won't stop block voting it would distance the two entities.

BTW, has anyone looked into the legal ramifications of granting automatic
membership of one incorporated body by joining another?

> Personally, I don't find this a problem because if PLUG remains true to the
> charter and non-commercial, there will be no conflict of interest.

I'd hope not, but...

skribe
aka Devil's Advocate
--