[plug] copying an install?

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 27 15:58:32 WST 2002

Hi all

We have a server which is running temporary hardware, and will soon change to
all new stuff.

I want to image the contents of the linux install and copy it to the new
harddisk. In order to do this, my best guess is to create an iso image with
the install (minus /dev and /proc) and use tomsrtbt as a boot image.

That way, I can then fdisk the new drive and then copy the data across.

3 questions

a) is this a good way of dealing with it?
b) how do I then install grub or lilo afterwards from tomsrtbt?
c) Any better ideas?

Thanks