[plug] tourists or refugees?

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Mar 2 08:31:39 WST 2002

At 10:25 PM 03/01/2002, wayne wrote:
>Hello, All!
>
>What is being done to "advertise" the Convention overseas?  Of course the
>more widely we advertise the more chance of getting people coming
>here.  If we do some kind of "word-spread" overseas how are we going to
>determine how many will actually arrive?  If something like this is going
>to be done then there may need to be some kind of monitoring of numbers -
>but how?
>
>What's the package (ie convention and tourist stuff)?  And where do they
>sign-on?  How do we help them "know" from here?

Don't panic !!!!

Currently, the conf organising committee is attending weekly meetings in
order to implement plans and create strategies to ensure that all the tasks
get done to create a successful Linux.conf.au. Most of this activity has
occurred on the conf list as it was indicated that perhaps we did not want
to bother several hundred subscribers to the [PLUG] list with the minutiae
of organising the conference. However, there always will be announcements
(we would like you to know first :) and calls for help. For example, the
first press statement was released over a week ago and resulted in
increased hits on the PLUG web site and downloads of the video. You may
also of seen a request to go and look at a web site displaying suggested
logos for PLUG and the conf, and an offer to purchase and display the
invitation/bid poster on a T-shirt at the current Perth Computer &
Technology Show this weekend.

Several PLUGgers are currently putting together a special conf web site ...

The monitoring of numbers is not difficult. Essentially, the registrations
will be opening as soon as we can and we will be marketing and promoting
the conference all year. We will be counting registrations. Where measuring
is tricky, is knowing where you and your colleagues are going to look (web,
print and community) to keep up with what is going on with the conf. Please
let us know where you see (or do not see) the Linux.conf.au mentioned.

It's happening ... but all PLUGgers can assist to make Linux.conf.au 2003
IN Perth the best ever.

We need more people to take responsibility for a particular task and run
with it. Please sign up to the conf list and see how you can assist. Note:
I don't know how to sign up to the conf list - I was assisted :) But if you
contact me off list, hopefully I will of figured it out by then.

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)