[plug] Boot floppy panic

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 2 16:14:43 WST 2002

Howdy all,

I'm trying to build a RAID-oriented custom boot / root
disk set (actually a revised version, with an updated
driver selection to suit changing hardware
requirements).

The kernel seems to boot fine, but hits problems with
the root disk. As soon as I put the disk in and press
enter, the drive light comes on and stays on, and the
kernel immediately Oops'es (process "swapper" by the
look of it).

The root disk is the same one as I've used with the
previous kernel. Only difference is that it still
contains modules whereas I turned modules off on this
new kernel, precisely so that I wouldn't _have_ to
update the root disk. (Such a procedure is a bit
complicated involving loopback files and multiple
dd's...) I don't think the lack of modules would cause
this, though.

I've posted a copy of the config file (tarball for
bandwidth purposes). I'm sure it's just a
configuration problem, as it's exactly the same kernel
version, with the same patches, as the previous
edition.

Kernel version is 2.2.18 with ext3 and RAID patches
(yes, I know I should probably upgrade but it's just a
rescue disk after all... :)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

=====
"One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

- Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars pool.