[plug] kernel conundrum

Sol solhanna at dingoblue.net.au
Mon Mar 4 16:05:28 WST 2002

Hello,

I've been battling away trying to figure out how to recompile a new
kernel from sources and have finally installed a reconfigured 2.4.16
kernel after much unexpected drama. (make-kpkg clean didn't work - but
thanks for the tip anyway Ryan - I had to use the same revision number
to get make-kpkg to work and delete /var/lib/modules/... before
installing the new kernel.) But I still can't get my cd drives to work!
:-(  Either I've configured the kernel incorrectly or (more likely) I've
neglected to do some post reboot configuration. (I have appended
"hdc=ide-scsi" to lilo.conf - thanks Andrew)

I'm tearing my hair out here. Can anyone offer any advice? Pretty please?