[plug] Any kernel hackers out there...?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Mar 6 08:34:23 WST 2002

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 16:55, Kim Covil wrote:
> Currently my rough scratching around looking for example code has come
> up with something like the code at the bottom. But I have no idea
> whether this is in anyway correct, and I can't find any examples on how
> I read 3 bytes from the serial device. Also I have been told I should
> wrap the code in a busy-wait but I am not sure about that one either.

> Any help would be appreciated,

I would have through that something like the parport init code would be a
good place to start, since it does essentially the same thing, only with
parallel ports instead of serial. Other good hint-sources might be gpm (even
thought it's userland) and the PS/2 devices init (there might be code for
checking funny stuff, e.g. mouse/keyboard splitters and the like).

For hardware stuff, Ron Casotti (spelling?) is likely to be helpful, he's in
Floreat CSIRO somewhere. Software not so, he uses Windows and 8051-sized
microcontrollers (and BASIC Stamps).

So how come you get to play with ARMs at work while the rest of us have to
make do with power-hog x86 processors? (-:

Cheers; Leon