[plug] Running Windows as an application on Linux?

Mark Dixon mdixon at ecel.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 6 11:54:06 WST 2002

Someone recently commented to me that they run Windows on their laptop, but as a guest, or in a
"virtual machine", under Linux.  I got the impression that both Linux and Windows were both running
on his PC at the same time.

Does anyone in PLUG have experience with this?  If so, what are your thoughts on the following:

* is it really possible to have both Linux and Windows both operating on a one CPU machine at the
same time (ie. not dual boot) and be able to have Linux & Windows apps running at the same time.

* what Linux software or options are required to do that?   Where do you get them?

* is it reasonably efficient to do this on a Pentium II or better grade processor with >= 64Meg of
RAM?

* Can it be done with any species in genus Gatesium or is it only possible with Win95/98?  Ie. can
it be done to Win2K & WinXP?

* any caveats or warnings about attempting this other than the obvious "why do you want to run
Windows at all"?

Cheers, Mark Dixon
e: mdixon at ecel.uwa.edu.au,  u: http://imm.uwa.edu.au/~mdixon
p: 08 9380 7340, f: 08 9313 3955, m: 041 382 0071