[plug] Just a point in the right area

David Broadway djnitrous at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 8 13:26:12 WST 2002

Hi,

I've got some areas I wouldn't might to get to know a little better.

1. I've got SAMBA up and running and sharing the unix home directories to
who logs on with a windows machine. but I've found some weird probems.

I login as eg. David on windows, and under my samba box I see a share for
'david' (the home dir on the unix box) now under windows win95 I double
click it to access it, and it comes up with a 'enter the password in for
that share' even tho my windows/unix passwd is the same. I just enter it in,
and it goes in. (should have to do tho?
But then accessing the same thing using w2k/xp its a little different.
I get on w2k, a enter user/pass box, on win95 its just a passwd box.
and on the xp machine I get a login box, but I can't change the username,
its preset to SERVERNAME/Guest but I can enter a passwd. I'm guessing that
only sending the SERVERNAME/Guest (password to the unix/samba box)?

Any clue, hopefully I haven't connfused you now!! :P

2. The other thing is I wouldn't mind learning about setting up DHCPd, DNS,
and gateway so the unix box can be the gateway machine to the internet.
(like internet sharing on windows2k/xp, wingate setups!)

Regards,
David

(First time msg, and new user to plug)