[plug] Passwords

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat Mar 9 23:18:40 WST 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 10:57:03PM +0800, Adrian Woodley wrote:
> I had a look at /etc/shadow on my first attempt, but couldn't work out what
> to put in the password field. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if you want a blank password or just disable
authentication with a password altogether. If you just want a blank
password, leaving the password field empty should work (::). Though
you *may* need to edit something in /etc/pam.d to allow empty
passwords to work.

To disable password authentication altogether for a user, put a '*'
or a '!!' in the password field.

HTH,

Bernard.

--