OT: jargon (Was Re: Re: [plug] Passwords)

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Sun Mar 10 11:35:08 WST 2002

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 02:47:32AM +0800, Peter J. Nicol wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-10 at 00:10, Russell Steicke wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 11:55:56PM +0800, Adrian Woodley wrote:
> > > YMMV?
> >
> > Your Mileage May Vary.  See
> >
> >   http://tuxedo.org/jargon/
>
> The problem with the "Jargon File" is that esr took an already available
> online, historical resource, and instead of just updating it, and adding
> new entries (which he has done pretty well),

http://tuxedo.org/jargon/html/Revision-History.html

Aug 16 1991: 148629 words, 1702 entries (This apparently corresponds to the
	     text of "The New Hacker's Dictionary", by Eric Raymond (ed.),
	     MIT Press 1991, ISBN 0-262-68069-6 ... which I managed to snag
	     a copy of from a second-hand book store a few years ago, 'tis
	     rather amusing though obviously dated - and the cartoons are
	     just bizarre).
[ ... ]
Jun 2001:    225517 words, 2321 entries.

Yeah, I'd say so ;). Having it in a massively hyperlinked format (as
opposed to plain text or postscript) is pretty cool too.

> he also added his own prejudices, in a blatant and shameless fashion.

I... see. As opposed to adding his own prejudices in a subtle and slightly
embarrassed fashion? *raised eyebrow*

> I think he is a twit, but hey, ymmv.

Yes, apparently quite a lot in some cases. :)

> This entry is unforgivable:
> http://tuxedo.org/jargon/html/entry/W2K-bug.html

Well, you _can_ ask ESR about it if you wish. I'm sure he'll be happy to
point you to examples of it being used on Usenet (he may even be willing to
tone down the wording of that entry if you explain why (it _is_ a tad
strong in hindsight)). Or you could use Google Groups:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22W2K+bug%22&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

I'm pretty sure ESR and Guy Steele (editor of the 1983 "The Hacker's
Dictionary" and still assistant editor of the current Jargon File) don't
just add entries because they feel like it. Though their biases may be
apparent in some cases (certainly in the above entry), you'd need to show a
fair number of other examples before it'd be clear that ESR was abusing his
editorial power. :)

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
Dilbert: Don't you think that you're abusing your power?