[plug] Linux Versions

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Wed Mar 6 20:59:04 WST 2002

What follows is 100% pure opinion - send abuse directly to me, not to the
list:

Debian is the best distribution.

However RedHat or Mandrake may be easier to get started with because they
take less knowledge to install. I started with Redhat and changed to Debian
and that worked out pretty good for me.

There are two packaging systems:

RPM - used by Redhat.
DEB - used by Debian.

It's usually easier to get dependencies right with DEBs than RPMs.  However
if you install Redhat (and I understand Mandrake is the same) then you can
just tell it to install everything and it all pretty much works.

Anthony