[plug] ext3

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Wed Mar 6 22:58:30 WST 2002

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 21:29, David White wrote:
> >>also what is RAID?
> >
> >raid is several things, it involves linking up several hard drives to work
> >as one
> >as far as i know it can either mirror all the data accross hard drives for
> >backup or combine all hard drives to create one really big drive
> >
> >there are hardware and software based RAID solutions
> >

> >this is just basic...
> How do i change to raid?

Unless you want high reliability it's probably not worth the bother. I had a
raid system for a while (RAID-1, aka mirroring).  It was all fun and games
but the novelty wore off after a while. My recommendation is to keep good
off-site backups instead.

If you want to join two drives the best thing to do is just mount different
directories on different drives. This has some draw backs but that's what I
recommend.

Anthony