[plug] 486 motherboard

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Mar 10 22:09:55 WST 2002

On Sunday 10 March 2002 15:36, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> is anyone who can come to the next PLUG meeting got a 486 motherboard lying
> around? don't need a CPU just a mobo because mine seems to be cactus or
> some things up with it anyway

My trusty 486SLC40 had to be replaced today because a power surge killed the
serial card(!) - or at least, relegated it to sending data at what appears to
be about 5 baud regardless of software settings - and I had no spare that
would fit (ISA, not AT, not VLB). It's what I call half-modernised, a
P133+40MB of RAM == circa 4x speed, 3.5x RAM, or about 15% of speed and 30%
of RAM that ships with a basic machine these days.

I have several 486ish motherboards around, up to and including 100MHz, many
with CPUs. Also cards, boxes and even a few working PSUs.

Computer Angels, do you have a trailer and some time? (-:

Cheers; Leon