[plug] [OT] rubbish at the bottom of emails

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Mar 12 14:44:17 WST 2002

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 14:30, wayne wrote:
> From: "skribe" <skribe at amber.com.au>
>> NOTE: No warranties, either express or implied, are hereby given. All
>> software is supplied as is, without guarantee.  The user assumes all
>> responsibility for damages resulting from the use of these features,
>> including, but not limited to, frustration, disgust, system abends, disk
>> head-crashes, general malfeasance, floods, fires, shark attack, nerve
>> gas, locust infestation, cyclones, hurricanes, tsunamis, local
>> electromagnetic disruptions, hydraulic brake system failure, invasion,
>> hashing collisions, normal wear and tear of friction surfaces, comic
>> radiation, inadvertent destruction of sensitive electronic components,
>> windstorms, the Riders of Nazgul, infuriated chickens, malfunctioning
>> mechanical or electrical sexual devices, premature activation of the
>> distant early warning system, peasant uprisings, halitosis, artillery
>> bombardment, explosions, cave-ins, and/or frogs falling from the sky.

> And why do we send all the rubbish at the bottom
> of eMails?  Intelligentsia?

Skribe's left out `top-posting', `zlib buffer overruns' and `Internet
Explorer' as destructive agents. (-:

I think he's trying to call attention to just how unreasonable many standard
warranties and disclaimer are. It's in-your-face-obviously longer than his
normal sigs.

I have one client who filled his email server up becuase all of his staff
top-posted and never trimmed. All of the `hi, how are you today' `rotten,
thanks' conversations snowballed over the months until megabytes were winging
their way to and fro just to say hello. They complained that email was slow.
The day before I was scheduled to arrive and fix that, the email server died
of gastric overload.

They don't all context-post now, but they do all trim.

Top-posting is a great way around document control. (-:

Cheers; Leon

--
`Many eyes make bugs provoke arguments on bugtracking lists'.
 -- Not Alan Cox