[plug] Multiple Users Simutainus

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Tue Mar 12 16:32:18 WST 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 06:53:20AM +0800, David White wrote:
> I have heard that with linux you can switch between users with out having
> to log out and that the programs still keep running. Is this possible

Yes.

> and if so how can i do it?

Well, depends exactly what you mean to do... you haven't quite given enough
information. Can you be a little more specific, eg. "I want to log in from
the Linux console on my machine. I'd then like to start up an X-Windows
display with KDE and open up the Konqueror web browser and point it to
slashdot.org. Then I'd let my mate Dave take over the machine, log in,
fire up another X display in Gnome, open up the Galeon web brower and point
it to www.yahoo.com. Then I'd like to be able to sit down and switch
straight back to my session, just as I left it (except the page will be
loaded by now)."

If it's just something like that above, well, that's pretty
straightforward. But there's a _lot_ more you can do besides that.

> TIM

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
Old programmers never die, they just become managers.