[plug] ipchains vs iptables

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Thu Mar 14 12:27:06 WST 2002

> Good question! I've been playing with ipchains atm. the damn think is
after
> a reboot I gotta reload the ipchains.o file, and I think if I reconnect
the
> internet connection I think I gotta reload ipchains settings again.
>
> Is there a way to install ipchains.o from the boot up, or is that in a
> re-compile of the kernal?
>
> David

Sounds like its compiled as a module.  Stick whatever you do to manually
load it into one of the startup files (e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local), depending
on which distro you're using.

Also I think when you reconnect to the net, its not so much the ipchains
rules being reset, probably also the packet forwarding between interfaces
being disabled.

> All the systems are running a 2.4.x kernel.
>
> Andrew

I personally prefer iptables over ipchains and if they are already running a
2.4.x series kernel with iptables support compiled in it'll be easy to
change over.  But, if you don't need the extra bits and pieces iptables that
ipchains doesn't do and ipchains is working fine for what you want it to do,
then I wouldn't fix what isn't broken ;o).

/ Ben