[plug] Cant enable dma

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Mar 14 14:13:45 WST 2002

> Im running redhat7.2 on a msiPro2kt266a board, not sure about the disc drive
> other than its a fujitsu, The problem is I cant enable DMA with hdparm
> "Operation not Permitted"
Running as root? Naturally you can't hdparm /dev/hdx <commands> as a
non-root user...

> even got seg faults (but not when just trying to
> enable dma only when do some uneseccary extra tweaks)
Segfaults just shouldn't be happening there. Yikes. Tried booting with
init=/bin/bash and using hdparm from there, might tell you something (BE
CAREFUL DOING THIS).

> so I upgraded hdparm
> but still no DMA
> the same drive has had dma enabled under windows(well thats what bill said)
Are you using the DMA enhanced support in the kernel for your IDE
chipset? If its running in "general ide" mode DMA won't work. If its a
vendor-standard kernel it should have DMA support, but if you built it
yourself you may've forgotten to turn it on.

> PLEASE TAKE NOTE:
<3 full pars of legalese>

_Please_ tell me you can disable that AWFUL sig for mailing lists?!?

--
Craig Ringer                                       IT Manager, POST Newspapers
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/