[plug] I had a Thought too! (Grapevine)

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 14 23:46:25 WST 2002

>If you're itching to write software in your spare time then you're welcome
>help on the Grapevine project (http://www.grapevineproject.org). Although
>I'm
>the only guy in Perth working on it (the others are in LA, NY and
>absolutely
>positively Wellington). I would love for there to be someone else working
>on
>the project in the same timezone and that I don't have to get on a plane to
>go and see.

Sorry, but I don't have any programming experience, which is why I was
hoping to get some people interested in the idea, so that I would be able to
rub shoulders with some developers (in real life) and be given certain tasks
to start of with etc. Just a basic starter, so that I can have some active
involvement and other teens might be able to as well.

> > Off the top of my head, I was thinking of a non-grphical menu (that's a
>bit
> > like the Norton Commander in this case, where there's no graphics but
> > something smart made of text), which allows you to choose which X
>Desktop
> > you want to enter. This is one of the main advatages of run level 5 (in
>an
> > .rpm based distro), but scrap that idea if it already exists, either
>way, I
> > want to choose my desktop in run level 3!
>
>Umm.. can't you just use GDM or KDM and choose which session you want or
>are
>you suggesting basically a ncurses verion of GDM? Why don't you juse use
>VNC
>and run all your favourite desktops at once rather than having to choose
>between them?

That's the thing, I dunno about any of that, because I'm not "l33+". I'm one
of the crowd that was converted by ethics and wish to know more.

> > I dunno if you like them or not, they're just quick ideas, but I would
>like
> > to have a group activity going on, where we beginners can get experience
> > from a decently sized project.
>
>There's a "beginners level" side-project of the Grapevine project. It's a
>(perhaps gtk-gnutella like) media client which uses wxWindows (so we can
>easily port it to that other OS that I forget the name of). Of course it's
>not going to be useful until we've got Grapevine up and running.
>
> > anarchist tomato
> > P.S. Please make no KDE questions from this mail, if you need me for
> > something KDE related, email me privately at
>anarchist_tomato at herzeleid.net

>No bloody way am I joining hotmail! Do you realize that using hotmail
>causes
>millions of children in the third world to die every year.

I hate it with a passion, it's just my "always there" box. I hate it,
herzeleid!