[plug] compiling Vim

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Mar 15 17:19:27 WST 2002

PLUGers

I found that the vim package for woody did not have gvim compiled in. I decided to compile my own.

<fun begins = here>

I got the linker error:

objects/os_unix.o: In function `mch_set_shellsize':
/usr/src/vim/vim-6.0.270/src/os_unix.c:2910: undefined reference to `term_set_winsize'

for which the source (os_unix.c line: 2906) says:

        /*
         * NOTE: if you get an error here that term_set_winsize() is
         * undefined, check the output of configure.  It could probably not
         * find a ncurses, termcap or termlib library.
         */

because, sure enough, the ./configure output explained:
..
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
none found
..

I know the following packages are installed:
libncurses5, termcap-compat

Newbie Q1. Do I need to install source for libraries or the kernel (or even some other package) ? I've not apt-get-ed any source onto this machine except vim.

Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue49/misc/beekmans/LFS-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1) explains:
"
Also Vim doesn't compile with gcc 2.95.2, so we have to compile it with gcc 2.7.2.3 as well.
Compile the package by running make CC=/usr/gcc2723/bin/gcc
"

I have gcc 2.95.4. The gcc 2.7.2.3 appears not to be part of woody (or potato).

Newbie Q2. Has anyone struck this with vim compiles ? I'm assuming I'd need to scrat around for a 2.7.2.3 tarball.

cu
Harry