[plug] compiling Vim

Trent Lloyd trentlloyd at iprimus.com.au
Fri Mar 15 17:19:51 WST 2002

I believe I know why, you need the ncurses-dev packages

-because, sure enough, the ./configure output explained:
>..
>checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
>checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
>checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
>checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no

apt-get install ncurses-dev

>Linux From Scratch
>(http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue49/misc/beekmans/LFS-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1)
>explains:
>"
>Also Vim doesn't compile with gcc 2.95.2, so we have to compile it with
>gcc 2.7.2.3 as well.
>Compile the package by running make CC=/usr/gcc2723/bin/gcc
>"
>
>I have gcc 2.95.4. The gcc 2.7.2.3 appears not to be part of woody (or
>potato).

afaik, the latest gcc is fine with it, in the latest lfs anyway (ive done it)
you just need the ncurses-dev package

Trent Lloyd

Associations:
http://www.variantrealities.com/ - Realise your dreams
http://www.plug.org.au/ - Perth Linux Users Group
http://www.irc-desk.net/ - Your IRC Resource

Key Fingerprint: (I'll get it sometime)
*-* If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem *-*