[plug] Home Network Ideas

Chris HoyPoy choypoy at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 16 14:45:05 WST 2002

setup NTP and then start nagging major VCR, microwave, oven and any other
time-displaying instruments to put a simple chip in that will allow it to
communicate with a PC and update its time automatically. what? a house
finally synchro'd in time? its a small thing, though, isnt it?

Setup a couple of video camera's (on your front door for example) and maybe
a couple of sound-feeds so you can monitor your house (from anywhere in the
world with netaccess if it really inspires you...

hrrm..

what else is there to do with a home network.. other than incorporate your
sound/video system into (multiple music feeds (radio, mp3, cd, dvd) going to
multiple speakers at different times (hey, throw in a couple of wireless
palms, work out someway to figure out which room the person carrying it is
in, and then work in video and music feeds to adjust depending on who the
people in the room is - you could do this with video cameras and facial
recognition stuff as well, but thats too complex for me.. the rest is easy
stuff though) :)

go wireless with E3 and then incorporate that into your network :)

www.e3.com.au

probably not entirely what you are after, but I seriously cant think of
anything else I'd like to do with my current network either :)
(thats possible with today's technology anyway.. and subject to my <Sigh>
everdecreasing funds)