[plug] Java Microchips

Jonathon Bates batesy at batesy.net
Fri Mar 22 22:37:49 WST 2002

> Can you maybe provide a good rundown on this project - I for one was
> thinking of planning and completing a similiar project sometime this year -
> so I'm very interested in keeping tabs on similiar projects and the general
> where/why and how

I cant really do a run down yet, as it is really still in the pre
development days. But suffice to say their will be a website and so forth.

A project I am really intersted in developing (if at all possible) is an
automatic rollerdoor system. Rather than having to use a remote. 2
tini boards each with a wireless ether cards are used.
1 in the car, the other on the roller door.
Both have an IP address, as soon as the car comes into contact with the
LAN. The rollerdoor checks the remote mac address of its ethernet.
If it matches what the roller door has on memory, it fires the mechinism
to open the door. Naturally from here many a function could be added.
Such as the following:
* Connecting to the kettle to boil the water and so forth... :)
* Turning on some of the lights in the house.
* Turning off hte alarm system.
* Dialling up a machine to the net, and getting the users email.

But I should prolly be keeping these ideas to myself! :)

Cheers
Batesy