[plug] Any legal restrictions on cryptography use / importation in Aus?

Daniel cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 26 10:44:00 WST 2002

Hello All,
someone from Germany was talking about Linux Distros - said they thought
there might be restrictions in Australia on the level of cryptography we
can use, and hence we might not be allowed to use some versions here. [ssl
gpg pgp ....]

I always thought it was the other way - that countries like the US
restricted the export of some cryptography, and that Australia did not
restrict the import or use of cryptography.  Who is right on this one please?

Thanks very much,
Daniel.