[plug] Any legal restrictions on cryptography use / importation in Aus?

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Tue Mar 26 19:38:33 WST 2002

My understanding of the US laws is that it used to be a felony (i.e serious
offence) to export "weapons grade" encryption (i.e anything more than 56
bits). I undestand that the law has now changed so that it is now legal to
export encryption to approved countries (including Australia and New Zealand)
as long as it doesn't involve exporting it to banned countries (such as Cuba
and Iraq).

As far as I am aware encryption is not illegal to use anywhere. Good
encryption is necessary for Internet banking. The non-US Debian mirrors are
available inside Australia so you'll certainly have no trouble getting hold
of encryption software (at least if you're using Debian). I doubt that they
would be available if they were in any way questionably legal.

Anthony