[plug] Linux on Toshiba Satellite 2800

Peter Wilsmore djinn at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 27 14:16:36 WST 2002

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 04:17:58PM +1100, Clinotn Hucker wrote:
> Hi guys.... long time no see
>
> I'm all the way over here in Victoria... Studying at TAFE.
>
> Got a person here needs help with installing RedHat 7.1 on his Toshiba
> Satellite 2800. We cannot get the sound card configured... we have tried
> several different documentations found on the net.... but nothing has come
> through successfully.
>
> I am not familiar enough with the workings of RedHat to fix this
> problem... but I know that some of you people are :o)
>
> sndconfig does not detect the correct sound card, Yamaha DS-XG. It detects
> it as a Yamaha YMF-754. This leaves the system with a constant "buzz"
> (very annoying).
>
> as I said before... we have tried several different documentations to no
> avail.

A quick search on this topic turned up these web sites:
http://www.mandrakeforum.com/pollBooth.php?op=results&pollID=3
http://www.dhs.org/pipermail/systalk/2001-July/016487.html

some suggestions that turned up as a result of the search were
1) try installing the lastest kernel - apparently the problem is fix
2) try forcing the system to load the snd-ymfpci module
3) try configuring the card to use a different irq

Have a look at those two web sites and followups and see if that
helps out at all.

thanks,
  Peter