[plug] nasty spammer

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Mar 27 15:57:40 WST 2002

On 27 Mar 2002, Jeff wrote:

> Your not running Redhat 6.2 with the original bind I hope.

We are running RH 6.2, on our mail server.

ps -ax | grep 'bind' does not show that we have bind running. I assume
that is the correct synatx, to determine whether bind is running.

Postfix sends messages, from time to time, indicating that someone is
trying to use us for relaying.

Email addresses involved, in persistent attempts, include .sg and
sg.co.nz.

Information from the Singapore police, indicates that the spoofing has
originated from the USA or Canada.

The FBI seem to think that security breach attempts (no, I do not
use the word "hacking", for this, Christian) in order to implement
unauthorised relaying, is acceptable practice, as the FBI does not regard
the possible DoS attacks, and, possible viral email relaying, etc, as
threats to the USA infrastucture. But then, the FBI probably uses Win 3x,
for security...

--
Bret Busby

 you'll know what the answer means."
 - Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988