[plug] top and threads

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Thu Mar 28 11:14:52 WST 2002

Is there an alternative way to display current process information (ie
updating as you look at it) that handles linux threads a bit more
intelligently than top (from the procps package in debian woody)?

I ask because I want to see what my java programs are up to, mainly
their memory usage, but ignore all their threads. The java runtime uses
quite a few threads, and they appear as almost identical processes to
top, so clutter up the top display.  ps suffers from the same problem.
pstree handles this a bit better, by merging identical branches, but
doesn't show memory usage.

Any suggestions?

--
Russell Steicke