[plug] dd and md5 report 'Input/output error'

Daniel cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 29 17:43:31 WST 2002

Hello All,
I am trying to copy a cd to hdd (and have done it before, but this time
it's not working):

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=Mandrake82-cd1-inst.i586.iso
dd: reading '/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
1332304+0 records in
1332304+0 records out

I then wonder if the cd itself is flawed and so:

md5sum -b /dev/cdrom
md5sum: /dev/cdrom: Input/putput error

The original cd seems to work, and installs the operating system, so I
wonder if there is a flaw elsewhere in the cd that just messes up dd and
md5, or am I doing everything wrong (like happens some days)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Daniel.