[plug] dd and md5 report 'Input/output error'

Daniel cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 31 18:02:18 WST 2002

Thanks, I tried 'dd' of cd on Redhat 7.2 & Mandrake 8.1 and got the same
result so thought it must be me!
I suspect the 'dd' command gives errors if it doesn't have the perfect
number of repetitions set, and get the impression the file still has
reliable content.

This is complicated by there being no burner on the linux machine and every
cd once burnt and returned to linux (dd if=/dev/cdrom | md5sum) gives a
different checksum.  I can see I need to swap the burner then compare linux
burnt cds(checksum on cds and dd of cds) with original downloaded iso file.
[maybe just get a burner for the linux system and be done with it - Sony
with burnproof?]

Cheers,
Daniel.