[plug] Basic network setup question

Richard wpickett at iprimus.com.au
Fri May 3 15:14:54 WST 2002

On Thursday 02 May 2002 8:50 pm, Steege, Phil E wrote:
> When I setup my Linux machine, it asks for my IP address, and netmask and
> also my gateway.
> I am using 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 for the first two, but what
> gateway address do I use on a small network of three machines (two linux
> and one windows 2000)?
> I am using 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, and 192.168.0.3 for the three
> machines. The windows 2000 machine has the modem to the ISP, but I have not
> set it up to share the connection for the linux machines...that is the
> goal, but not done yet.

I think that Arie is right about using one of the Linux boxes as the
gateway/router, but if you have to use the win2k box...a third party
proxy/router such as AllAboard etc. seemed to work very well for our home
lan. It was much easier to configure (and it did not intermitantly cease to
work for no good reason like w2k), and Linux worked with all the third party
products we tried first go without a hint of trouble. I am a bit of a novice
when it comes to security though, so I couldn't comment on that aspect of the
setup.

Richard