[plug] Sun kit for free

Simon Fryer fryers at rcpt.to
Fri May 3 18:57:23 WST 2002

Evening All

Apologies about my late reply. I have been catching up with the last couple
of months of PLUG email over the last week.

> A while ago craig at postnewspapers.com.au tapped:

> > 13W3 isn't Sun only (it was used by a lot of workstation manufacturers in
> > the 90s) and it's not _that_ bizarre - just not what you're used to seeing
> > on the back of your PC, that's all. :)
> Heh... I've used macs from rj11 to ADB to USB too. Its just something
> I'd _never_ encountered (13W3) or even heard of.
>
> I'm still looking for adapters/gear for it too.

All Suns I have ever touched will talk RS232 or RS422 at 9600,8,n,1 out
of the first serial port as a console[1]. To force this you don't plug in a
keyboard.

If you are still in need of a monitor, I have a suitable Mono monitor,
keyboard, optical mouse and mat for a sun 4 system. This is surplus to
my requirements - the sun it was connected to now talks to a 286 laptop
running Telix. About the only piece of hardware I don't have is the monitor
cable but I am sure I can get one if you need it.

Simon

[1] So does my Alpha, HP and Apollo's... I am still waiting for Poe Cee's to
catch up.