[plug] Sound on Linux

Simon Fryer fryers at rcpt.to
Fri May 3 19:06:03 WST 2002

Evening

Apologies if there have been any replies to this. I could not see any and
I am feeling game.

> A while ago Jacqueline McNally tapped:

> At 11:00 AM 04/26/2002, you wrote:
> >PLUGers
> >
> >Our OSS list has a some little activities going at the mo' and I'd like to
> >know
> >what minumum system people would be happy with to stream net audio.
>
> I would like to know if anyone is using vorbis libraries and an ogg player
> on their machine.

I tried with no success. Systems where a sparc station 5 running OpenBSD 2.9
and a Pentium 166 running OpenBSD 2.8. From what I read of the documentation
the vorbis librarys are not tested in a BSD environment and this shows.

Working out why it doesn't work has been on my todo list for about 6 months now
and unfortunatly does not rate on the must do list anytime soon.

Both machines play MP3s happily so I know it is not the sound drivers under
OpenBSD or the sound hardware.

[...]

Simon