[plug] Questions for information

Richard Henry r.henry at murdoch.edu.au
Sun May 5 14:35:30 WST 2002

> Many thanks for the ./ tip, the . was not in my path. Where
> are all of a
> user's environment variables kept? (to edit path etc)
>
> Richard

Depends on your shell - they'll probably be stored in a hidden file in your
home dir.  If you use bash, it'll be in a file called .bash_profile (and
.bashrc).  It may be set in /etc/profile too (generic environment vars
usually set there).

If you edit your path, its safest to do it like this (under bash anyway):

	PATH=$PATH:/my/additional/path
	export PATH

That way you don't overwrite whatever was there before.

Rich.