[plug] DNS

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Mon May 6 08:14:38 WST 2002

I have a D-Link gateway device and it works fine as far as dialling up when I insert an Internet address into Konqueror or other browser's address line - however it only responds to numerical addresses:

203.10.1.20   - dials up and connects to westnet.com.au
www.westnet.com.au - "cannot find server"

Obviously there is a DNS problem.  I left the DNS settings in the D-Link gateway as 0.0.0.0 because that is what you are meant to do if your ISP provides the DNS service.  However, when I could not get through to non-numerical addresses I did insert the primary and secondary DNS addresses into the D-Link server, but to no avail

My routing table is attached (it lost its column formatting by pasting it here, inline, but is easy to read if opened in a text editor).

I would be grateful for any suggestions

Kind regards

James Elliott
Ravensthorpe Computers