[plug] suggestion: PLUG 4 Schools

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Mon May 6 11:51:51 WST 2002

> Why doesn't PLUG make a public offer to metropolitan schools (say the first
> one to sign an agreement with PLUG) to have PLUG members migrate their school
> over to Linux servers and workstations and offer supplementary assistance in
> the form of technical advice and initial training for teachers for a (say)
> three month period completely free of charge.

That would be a huge commitment to make; I don't see PLUG being able
to live up to it on volunteers' time. Installfests are one thing, and
even they take a fair bit of organising; but providing support for a
few hundred users who are nearly all new to a particular system is a
very different animal. I think it would be more realistic for PLUG to
offer to put schools in touch with businesses which can provide that
support for pay. There are several PLUGgers who provide Linux install
and support services as part of their business activities[1]; they'd
probably be better able to devote time to such a project if it were
going to lead to paid work.

[1] I'm not one of them, in case you're wondering.

Colin