[plug] suggestion: PLUG 4 Schools

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Mon May 6 18:06:49 WST 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 05:47:26PM +0800, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> I think training and support will be crucial to the success of the project
> that you have identified. It is made the more difficult, because you are
> already dealing with a great number of teachers who do not know (or care)
> that Linux is not anymore difficult than Windows, just that they are
> finding computers difficult and it is something else they have to do that
> does not involve being in the classroom teaching.

This is probably the most important element of the lot, and the one
easiest to overlook. Teachers don't want Windows or Linux or Mac, they
want to get their job done. I believe we'd be setting Linux up to be
hated if we didn't properly work out what needs of teachers and
learners it can meet, and then ensure that what is installed meets
those needs right out of the box, so to speak. And also be clear on
what needs it cannot meet. So there needs to be a really solid
requirements gathering and analysis stage. All of which is obvious,
and all of which is very often overlooked by suppliers of IT systems.

Colin