[plug] Linux vs Microsoft

Jon L.Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Wed May 8 07:32:19 WST 2002

James as much as I can appreciate your comments (come a long way since the
card puch systems), this is the same scenario with the NOS (MS vs Novell vs
Linux) debate.  The bottom line isn't who'll win but what works for the
client.  One should not buy into a market because it has the largest share or
Joe Blob down the street is using it.  Some clients have to be educated into
making the right decision, this should involve a comprehensive report of the
Pros and Cons or each product. If the major share holder of the NOS's cannot
provide the solution then buy into the product that solves the solution.  In
saying this if a client is looking for an inexpensive non proprietary OS
utilising existing equipment chances are they may be willing to learn a new
OS if the TCO is lower.  Client generally look at the bottom line ($$$) and
then what they require, funny not the other way around.
What I tend to do is create a matrix of what the client wants to run on both
their desktop and server.  From there we make the analysis of what is
available on the market and in what OS is it available.  This will as always
narrow the decision down to the correct OS.
This has been my experience.